It's that time of year again... the time when everyone starts thinking of resolutions, plans, ambitions, future projects, actions and undertakings. Even though I'm a fan of lists (a BIG fan, if I'm being completely honest), I find it a bit daunting to try to map out goals for an entire year. So instead, sometimes I find it much easier to look backwards and remind myself of the lessons the previous year has taught me. Here's some of what I learned in 2011:
1. Traveling is wonderful, but my favorite place to be is home.
2. Investing in warm clothes and layering can make being outside in 20-degree temps quite enjoyable. (Why is it that an Upstate NY girl didn't learn the value of layering until she was almost 32? Really, it's kind of pathetic.)
3. The best kinds of friends are the ones that accept you even when you're quiet and/or sad.
4. I should make a greater effort to purposely watch a sunrise. No matter what mood I'm in, it's a sign that God is in the business of new beginnings.
5. God is also in the business of doing "immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine"!
6. Beach days in the middle of the week are way more fun than going to the beach on a weekend. I definitely need to plan more of them for next summer.
7. I never get tired of hearing "Aunt Alvana", and am so glad that I have 3 nephews and 1 niece that live close enough to see on a semi-regular basis.
8. My husband has the unique ability to turn almost anything into a fun adventure. (Even flooding from a hurricane!)
9. I've been blessed with wonderful family members! And that includes David's family, all of whom I proudly claim as "my family". (I've learned this before 2011, but I still wanted to say that since there were so many moments this past year that reminded me how grateful I am for each of them.)
10. I need to give up on growing my hair. I always wanted long hair, but I need to accept that a short hair style looks better on me.
11. Opening up my home to family/friends doesn't mean that I'm responsible for someone else to have a good time. As long as I'm a welcoming hostess, I've done my job. Having a good time is everyone's personal choice.
12. Learning is important and fun, and I hope that I never stop striving to increase in knowledge.
13. I'm still a shy person by nature, but trying to be outgoing goes a long ways towards actually being a more social creature.
14. All relationships have their ups and downs, but David is my best friend and my favorite person to be with.
15. Chocolate cannot bring happiness, but I'll probably keep trying anyway.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment