Friday, March 4, 2011

Trying New Things

I know a few vegetarians, but I've never asked them how they became vegetarians. Did they go "cold turkey" when they stopped eating meat, or was it a gradual shift in their food habits?

I'm not sure if David and I will ever be vegetarians (let's face it... I think bacon is way too yummy to give up!), but I've decided to try to incorporate some vegetarian meals into our regular menu. And thankfully David is willing to go along with this and try anything that I make. (Yes, I know I'm blessed with his easygoing nature!)

We had our first vegetarian meal tonight, Brown Butter Tortelli. It was... interesting. I found the recipe on a blog called 101 Cookbooks and tweaked it only slightly by using tortellini instead of tortelli. Neither David nor I like balsamic vinegar, and I honestly don't know if I've ever tried arugula before, so attempting this recipe definitely got me out of my comfort zone! The arugula was much more bitter than I anticipated, but one good quality of bitter greens is that they help mute balsamic vinegar. All in all, it was different, but decent. I don't think I'll put it on the menu every month, but I definitely think we'll have it again.

Now I've just got to figure out what to do with the remainder of the arugula!

3 comments:

Shelly said...

This post made me giggle! :) How can you not love the flavor of balsamic?? (a little bit does go a long way, though!) Can you send me the recipe, that sounds interesting! :)

I also love your bacon-remark, that is the one food from 4-legged creatures that I occasionally miss...! BTW, I became a vegetarian gradually, but I no longer can claim that title as I eat poultry and fish occasionally.

Shelly said...

(oops- noticed the link for the recipe after sending my comment!)

Dan and Alenna said...

I think we'll try the recipe too!