Sunday, February 27, 2011

Blueberry-Oatmeal Muffins

Do you remember that scene in Little Women, when the four sisters are gathered together on Christmas night to read from "their paper" together? The following dialogue occured...
Meg: Gentlemen of the press, hear, hear! I call to your attention our Mr. Tupman's The History of a Squash.
Beth: Oh, don't read mine.
Amy: Beth, this isn't a story. It's a recipe.
Beth: Oh, dear, I never know what to write.

I was reminded of this scene because I baked some delicious muffins tonight, and I definitely wanted to share the recipe with everyone... yum!


1 cup unbleached white flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg
1 cup (8 oz.) vanilla low-fat yogurt
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup low-fat milk
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Combine the flours, oats, baking powder and baking soda in a mixing bowl and stir together.
In another mixing bowl, combine the beaten egg, yogurt, brown sugar, and milk in another mixing bowl and stir together until well blended.
Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the wet mixture. Stir together vigorously until completely combined. The batter should be medium-thick. If it seems too stiff or dry, add a small amount of additional milk.
Divide the batter evenly among 12 paper-lined muffin tins. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the tops of the muffins are golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of one tests clean. When the muffins are cool enough to handle, transfer them to a plate or rack to cool.
Calories: 143
Total fat: 3 g
Protein: 5 g
Cholesterol: 19 g
Sodium: 28 mg
Enjoy!

No comments: