Sunday, March 18, 2012

Babywearing

Babywearing is a term that I only learned a few years ago.  And, at first, it sounded strange to me... like a person was turning their baby into some sort of accessory.  But thankfully I've learned a lot more since that time.

Studies have shown that babies who are carried in "soft carrier" (such as the ring sling that I am using in the picture) have improved sleep, reduced crying, improved breastfeeding rates and better attachment.  Also, it has been proven that "a baby who is worn experiences much more of the world than a baby hanging at knee-level in a carseat or isolated in a stroller", which aids in their cognitive development.  However, I will admit that I don't wear Audra just because of these benefits... I wear her because it makes her happy, and thus it makes me happy.

This past Friday Audra was having a rough day.  She didn't nap well and she pretty much just wanted to be held the entire day.  So when it was time to make dinner I put her in the sling and got things ready.  She fell asleep almost immediately and slept peacefully while I shredded spinach, chopped onions and cut up some chicken for our soup.  Wearing her at a time like that was my sanity saver.


Babywearing isn't very common in this part of the country, so yes, I get some strange looks when I wear Audra in public.  But mostly people have been kind in their comments.  When I wore her to the grocery store recently I met a few older women who wistfully said "I wish I could've had a carrier like that for my children!" and an older man commented "that little boy is so lucky to be carried around like that".  (Since he couldn't see her purple outfit I let the gender thing slide and just agreed with him.)  Lucky, indeed.  But Audra isn't the only lucky one... being able to keep her close and meet her need for human touch makes me feel pretty lucky too.



No comments: