Monday, October 31, 2011

Costume Party

This past Friday David and I were invited to a surprise 50th birthday party, which was also a costume party.  We stayed up way too late on Thursday night getting our costumes completed.  Here's David, making the wall that would become part of my costume.


The party was in honor of a friend of the Cundey family, so David's mother and sister were at the party too.  Here we are with Mom Cundey, Cherish (daughter of the guest-of-honor) and Marney.  And yes, that large, crazy looking "lady" in the purple moo moo is my darling husband!  We found his outfit at a local consignment store and, because of the embroidered cats, David thought it would work perfect as a "crazy cat-lady" costume (over his fat-lady costume from many years ago).  A lot of people commented on the originality of our outfits and said that we had the best costumes of the whole party!

Here is the finished product of the costume that David helped make for me... Humpty-Dumpty!  Unfortunately I cannot claim to have thought of this idea myself because I saw the instructions on a homemade costume website.  Also, except for stuffing Humpty's legs and buying his shoes, David was the one who made the entire costume a reality!  Thankfully it was warm at the party, so my painted, but bare belly didn't get too cold.

This was the first time in years that I've actually enjoyed dressing up for Halloween.  And, even though I have some fond memories of Halloween costumes when I was a child, I know this was my favorite Halloween party ever.  I used to dislike the extra attention that comes with wearing a costume, but this year, the costume wasn't about me, it was about my baby belly!  Also, since I've gotten to the point where my stomach gathers a lot of looks, it was fun to "show off" the area that, at times, has brought me some unwanted attention.  I never thought that I could have such a great time at a costume party!

No comments: